Thursday, July 23, 2009

Old News

Yesterday, a couple of my very good friends, Reet and Mari-Ann, took the drive up from Chicago to visit with Juta and me. We sat and chatted, Reet took us out for lunch, we ate a lot and had a great time. It was nice to see them again; it had been a few months.
Reet reminded me of a little project I started last winter--one in which she was kind of involved! My husband and I were at her house for a party back in January. I love her home, as it is filled with wonderful artwork done by several artists friends. When I read about Lynda Thompson's postcard challenge a few weeks later, I thought of one of Reet's paintings. The challenge was to make fiber postcards featuring a raven, to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Edgar Alan Poe's birth. The painting I thought of is one of blue/black birds soaring in an orange background. To me they looked like ravens, but they are swallows. Even so, I asked Reet for a few pics of it, so I could print them on fabric and play with the images for the challenge.

As it turns out, I didn't use the images. But I did create a postcard with words printed on fabric, dark chiffon on which I painted trees, some thread painting and, finally, appliqued ravens. It's called "Raven Go Now". I realized yesterday, when Reet reminded me of it, that I never posted a pic here, though I did post it on the challenge Yahoo group. Awwwww my first fiber postcard...I'm so proud...*sniff*
So, there it is, then. I still have those swallow images; eventually, something will come of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment