Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sneak Peek

I've been working on a quilt for the Milwaukee Art Quilters group, for an exhibit entitled "To a Tea". It is a potrait quilt of a cheerful Indian woman picking tea leaves. I'm afraid I may have bitten off more than I can handle...but if it all works, and I can get it all together...(and with all due modesty) it'll be really cool!!
So I took a couple pics of the hands and the little pieces that make up the highlights and shadows. And that brings me to my problem.
Usually, after fusing fabric pieces, I stitch around each piece to anchor it to the background. However, this is the first time I've had such teeny little pieces. How do I stitch them down?
These fabrics are all silks--some dupoini, some sueded silk and some crepe-back satin, and even though they are all backed with fusable interfacing, I'm afraid that the little pieces will either ravel, or be completely obluterated by the stitching, even with a very fine needle.

I've thought of covering the areas with tulle then stitching over that--but I've never done that. What what color shall I use? How is the stitching done? Yikes!!! So much I have to learn.
So here are the pictures. The pieces are fused to each other, but not to the background. They are on my teflon sheet; the stripes are the ironing board (cheery, eh?)
I will consider any and ALL suggestions as to how to do this. I know there are people out there who can teach me!




4 comments:

  1. I have no solutions for you here but did want to say I have had quite an enjoyable time this evening reading your blog! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh teasing us hey???? LOOKS GOOD, can't wait to see the finished product. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest using invisible thread and a narrow zig-zag stitch to sew around each piece. If a piece is so small that stitching into it will turn it into a bunch of strings then you may be better off to remove it and thread-paint that area. Good luck and please post when its done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes...how soon does this need to be completed? I have a wonderful tea-stained color fine tulle that would be wonderful for this overlay. When I use it, I thread paint the outlines with a short straight stitch using a thread, not nylons stuff. For this I would use a medium taupe to blend with all the shades.

    janice Paine-Dawes

    ReplyDelete